Hubert "Kim" E. Swan JP MP age 59 (born 4 October 1957) is married to Ercinda "Cindy" and together they have four children.
The Swan's live in the World Heritage Town of St. George, Bermuda where Kim once served as of a local Member of Parliament, was a former Leader of her Majesty's Loyal Opposition in Bermuda and served as an Opposition Senator for 9 years (7 years as Opposition Senate Leader)
Kim attended Southampton Glebe Primary, The Berkeley Institute and Warwick Secondary Schools in Bermuda before receiving his tertiary education in the United States of America; at Palm Beach Junior College (now Palm Beach State College) in Lake Worth, Florida and graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree from Troy State University (now Troy University) in Troy, Alabama in 1980.
Kim is a professional golfer by trade and holds the distinction of being the first Bermudian to qualify and participated for 3 years on the PGA European Golf Tour. Additionally, as a collegiate golfer Kim represented Troy State University where he was Most Valuable Player in 1979 and won two NCAA collegiate golf tournaments. Today, Kim Swan has established himself as a much sought after Golf Coach who writes regular golf articles for local and international publications.
Politically, Kim never gave up on his goal by contesting 5 general elections over a 30 year period (in 1983 he was the youngest candidate of record at 25 years 4 months) toiling in the political vineyard before eventually winning a seat in the House of Assembly of Bermuda in December 2007. He became Leader of the Opposition the following month and had the rare distinction within the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association of his maiden speech in the House of Parliament being the reply to the Throne Speech.
Kim has served on numerous committees and government boards:
• Member of Rules & Privileges
• Executive Member CPA Bermuda Branch
• 9 years as a Senator (7 years as Senate Leader);
• Former Chairman of the Road Safety Council;
• Former member of the Police Complaints Authority;
• Former member of the Immigration Board
• Former member of the St. George's Golf Course Advisory Committee
• Former member of the Members Interest Committee
As a member of the Bermuda branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association ("CPA"), Kim has represented Bermuda as a delegate at several conferences:
• 1999 CPA Annual Plenary, Trinidad
• 1999 CPA Small Countries Conference, Tobago
• 1999 CPA Post Election Seminar, Bermuda
• 2001 CPA Workshop, Bermuda
• 2008 CPA Regional Conference, Anguilla
• 2009 CPA Annual Plenary, Tanzania, Africa
• 2009 CPA Small Countries Conference, Tanzania, Africa
As a Professional Golfer and Amateur golfer Kim won 3 Bermuda Open Championships, the Americas Zone Qualifying for World Cup of Golf and several individual and team collegiate titles. He also participated worldwide in many of the most prestigious international golf tournaments such as:
• 2 World Amateur (Eisenhower Cup)
• 6 World Cup of Golf (2 finals)
• 1 Dunhill Cup
• 1 NCAA Div 2 Final
• 1 Gulf South Conference Championship
• 2 Florida State Junior College Championship
Kim is an honorary member and former President of the Bermuda Professional Golfers Association.
In addition, he participated on the PGA European Tour, Canadian Tour and competed in numerous events in the Caribbean and in South America.
As a Golf Manager, Kim also presided over the St. George's Golf Club and Ocean View Golf Course in varying capacities between 1985 and 2001. In addition, he also owned a golf management company which managed golf operations, golf tournaments and promoted Bermuda tourism overseas.
Kim enjoys interacting within diverse communities, is spiritual (enjoys reading the bible), learning form elders, watching sporting events (especially soccer and cricket).